Jenkins is often called an Automated Continuous Delivery tool; it helps various software developers and programmers to check their codes and make changes. It is an open-source and reliable one. Various posts are there in Jenkins, and new employees are hired to keep the system working. It is a great platform to start one’s career. For this, one needs to have all the eligibility criteria, qualifications and other requirements fulfilled. Shortlisted candidates are called for an interview. An interview helps the panel select the best candidate by analyzing their behaviour, thinking, knowledge and overall personality. A set of interview questions on Jenkins will help the candidate prepare themselves and get an idea of the interview. To become a DevOps Engineer, one must have information about the Jenkins tool as questions related to it are frequently asked in DevOps Interview.
Top 15 Jenkins Interview Questions & Answers
Here are the top 15 Jenkins Interview Questions and Answers; this can be helpful for both freshers and experienced applicants.
1. Tell us some prerequisites before installing Jenkins?
Ans. Users must check minimum hardware storage requirements; JAVA Development Kit must be installed, a Web browser, Good operating system, and internet connectivity are prerequisites before installing Jenkins.
2. Any SCM tools that are supported by Jenkins?
SCM stands for Source Control Management. It specifies the source location. Many SCM tools are supported by Jenkins, including Mercurial, Perforce, CVS, AccuRev, Clearcase, and Git.
3. What was Jenkins called at the start?
Ans. Jenkins was called Hudson initially, but then gradually, the name changed from Hudson to Jenkins.
4. Why choose Jenkins?
Ans. Jenkins is trusted and popular. Many advantages are there of using Jenkins like Easy installation, user-friendly server, Rapid release cycle, excellent community, good documentation, supported by various operating systems, excellent configuration set-up, automation, and free of cost.
5. What is Agent in Jenkins?
Ans. Agent in Jenkins is like a directive that guides the execution of a pipeline in a specified manner or a particular order. ( While answering interview questions on Jenkins, try to give short answers to define something, keep your answers to the point, no need of speaking 4-5 lines unnecessarily.)
6. Can you move Jenkins from one server to another?
Ans. Yes, Jenkins can be moved from one server to another easily using various options like-
- Copying the corresponding job directory
- Make a copy of the job by making a clone using a different name
- Rename the job by renaming the job directory.
7. What is continuous integration?
Ans. Continuous checking the codes in the software control system and identifying bugs in it is called continuous integration. It is the primary usage and feature of Jenkins. Jenkins is a continuous integration tool. This feature integrates the different modules or software the developer has been working on and links them together. It helps in fixing problems overall in the whole software. Change in current code automatically gets integrated and makes the testing of codes, programmes or software easier.
It consists of Development, Database Integration, Code Labeling, Functional Testing and Unit Testing.
8. State some features of Jenkins?
Ans. Free Open Source Automation, Workflow- plugin, Upgrades, easy to understand set-up, easy to install, third-party plugin usage, and support pipelines are few features of Jenkins which make it popular and easy to operate.
Interview questions on Plugins in Jenkins
9. Name a few plugins in Jenkins?
Ans. Maven 2 projects, HTML Publisher, Git Plug-in, Green Balls, Metrics, and Copy Artifact are a few important plugins in Jenkins.
10. Say something about Plugins in Jenkins?
Ans. Plugins are the means of improving the functionality accordingly that suits the user or the organization the best. Users can install various plugins on a Jenkins controller for the said purpose. It smoothens the programme building process. Backup Plugins are also used in Jenkins, which can back up critical settings and configurations to use in the future.
11. Name a few types of pipelines?
Ans. Jenkins pipeline is a kind of automated process to get the software from source to the users. It is a set of Jenkins features and promotes continuous delivery implementation. Different types of pipelines are:
- Declarative pipelines make the reading and writing of the code easier within a specified block.
- Scripted pipelines promote the traditional way of writing the codes. It is defined within a node.
12. What are the steps in a Jenkins pipeline?
Ans. Steps in Jenkins pipeline include Build, then Test and last Deploy. Build refers to the building of the project from source code using integration. The test refers to putting the project through various tests to check the correctness, user acceptance and, importantly, performance. Deploy means putting the packaged application on a server.
13. Why is continuous testing essential?
Ans. Continuous testing involves automated tests of the delivery pipeline executed to identify any risks or bugs as soon as possible. It is vital for effective execution and control. Mistakes can be fixed at the earliest, and risks can be avoided.
Interview questions on Groovy
14. What is Groovy?
Ans. Groovy is the default language of scripting used for Java Platform. Currently, Apache Groovy is used and has features like enhancing Java Compatibility and Development Support.
15. What is DSL (Domain Specific Language)?
Ans. DSL stands for Domain Specific Language, allowing users to use a Groovy-based language to define the jobs efficiently. It allows managing configuration as codes and is an essential plugin for Jenkins.
Additional Information on Interview questions on Jenkins
Above given is a set of top or most asked Jenkins Interview Questions and answers.
This additional information below will help understand the type and scope of interview questions on Jenkins. Few examples are also given below. One must collect all the information before going for the interview.
- The interviewer can ask interview questions on Docker in Jenkins or CI Tools or definitions of some technical words in an interview. One must know the basic information related to Jenkins and the Advantages of using Jenkins.
- CI tools used in Jenkins are GitLab CI, Codeship, Bamboo, TeamCity, Travis CI, and CircleCI.
- What triggers, pipelines, code, Post, parameters, Jenkins file are few examples of questions related to meanings and definitions.
- How to set up Jenkins, How to secure Jenkins are process-related questions where one must answer the process and state the answer in steps.
- Continuous Delivery Workflow- flowchart type of questions can be asked, so one must know the chart’s components, meanings, and examples.
- What do you know about Jenkins? How to use it? Requirements to be met before using Jenkins?
- How to build a code? How to copy a file? What is deployment? Why is Jenkins called a Continuous Delivery Tool?
These are a few interview questions on Jenkins that can be asked by the panel.
Tips for the Interview Questions on Jenkins
The interview is taken to know more about the candidate like punctuality, thought-process, attitude, behaviour, nature, knowledge, communication skills, method or thinking of work. It gives an idea to the interviewee how well you present yourself and, importantly, how you apply your knowledge. One must be well-dressed and disciplined. Wear formal but comfortable clothes. Keep your files and other documents in an organized manner. Collect information related to the company and the work it does. The nature of work the person on the Post you are applying for must be known too. Read and collect information from write-ups that talk about interview questions on Jenkins, and very important, be polite and confident. Listening and answering in a precise manner is always helpful to create an impact.
The above mentioned are the top 15 Questions asked in Jenkins Interview with suggested answers. These interview questions on Jenkins are mere guidance for candidates to prepare themselves accordingly and gather necessary information before an interview in front of the expert panel. The DevOps program considers Jenkins an essential tool. Hence interview questions on Jenkins can be expected in a DevOps interview or in, of course, Jenkins Management Interview. Jenkins interview is an excellent opportunity to get a good job or a technical position in a famous firm.