Typist jobs are also sometimes referred to as word processor operators. They are usually responsible for clerical tasks such as transcribing audios, proofreading and editing official documents, among other things. Typist is a profession that you can do full-time and part-time as well as on a freelance basis. With the advancement of technology and the making use of the recent trend in work from home, there is an abundance of opportunities for online typist jobs that you can do from the comfort of your home. College students often choose to be a typist as a temporary thing, but it can also become a satisfying career.
What is a Typist Job?
When you look for an online typist description, you come across the basic definition that a typist is a person that types. However, the logistics of the typist jobs are much denser than this. The typist’s responsibility is to ensure that all the official documentation is in order there are no errors in it. Although some of the documents could be confidential at times, typists should maintain their secrecy intact.
A successful typist is responsible for typing corporate documents and materials, including reports, correspondence, and guidelines. If you can write quickly and without errors and check documents for grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors within a short period, we’d love to hear from you. In this role, confidential handling of sensitive information is essential.
What does a Typist do?
Time management is the key aspect of the typist’s job. The typist should finish the work within the time frame properly, even under duress. Having comprehensive listening skills and a command of the language is vital to the typist’s job. It is their primary duty to transcribe the audios and meetings whenever required. Typists should type quickly and proofread everything that they have written quickly. Typists should be organized in their work. They are responsible for the filing of essential documents.
Typist Job duties include:
There are many duties that the typist is responsible for at the office, some of the duties are listed below:
- The primary work of the typist includes noting down the minutes of the meeting. They also take care of the notes and the memos of the meetings.
- Filing and organizing all the official documentation of the office.
- Proofreading everything that goes out of the office before submission.
- Generating computerized documents and reports.
- Keeping track of the hours spent on the particular task.
- Transferring data from the shorthands or compiled notes to the digital format.
Job brief for a Typist Job
A typist should be a reliable person as the whole office depends on the typist for managing the correspondence. Should be better at filing and documenting all the necessary official documents, such as correspondence and annual or event reports. Typing speed of the typist must be exceptional with the low error rate. Should be able to read and proofread documents for spelling, grammar, and punctuation errors.
Confidentiality must be second nature of the typist as all the essential documents, and office policies go from the typists’ hands.
Responsibilities of a Typist Job
Responsibilities that are conjoined with the typist’s job are as follows:
- The typist must be organized and prompt with the official correspondence.
- Running an errand, scanning, copying, and answering phones and email are also among the typist’s other responsibilities.
- The typist must ensure that all the data and documentation are up to date.
- In the meeting responsibility of taking minutes and notes is also of the typist.
- Typists should proofread and edit all the documentation that is either by them or by someone else.
- Should be able to maintain the physical and digital documentation. The typist should also be able to back up all the documentation in case of emergencies.
- The typist must ensure a sufficient supply of the office stationery and should inform the supervisor about it on time if it needs to be ordered.
- Drafting the agendas of the meetings, making presentations and reports, and proofreading materials created by others.
Requirements for a Typist Job
- Typists should have the basic educational criteria fulfilled.
- The typist should be excellent at WPM.
- Must have command over the language/s in which they are supposed to work.
- Must have knowledge of the MS Office.
- Typists should also know how to handle the scanner and the photocopy machine along with good computer operating skills.
- Should have better typing speed with a low error rate.
- Should have excellent listening and comprehensive skills.
- Should be organized and detail-oriented.
Average Salary for Typist Job (City Based Tables)
In India, the base you get from the typist’s job ranges from Rs. 15,000 to Rs. 25,000 per month. As you gain experience in the field, your salary will improve as per your workload and the company with which you are associated. There is a different salary scale for the government typist employees. Following is the table encompassing the average typist salary by the city:
|City||Average salary per month|
|Guntur, Andhra Pradesh||Rs. 26,533|
|New Delhi, Delhi||Rs. 24,122|
|Pune, Maharashtra||Rs. 20,550|
|Mumbai, Maharashtra||Rs. 16,915|
|Hyderabad, Telangana||Rs. 16,890|
|Secunderabad, Telangana||Rs. 16,393|
|Delhi, Delhi||Rs. 16,386|
|Chandigarh, Chandigarh||Rs. 15,475|
Key Skills of a Typist
- Should be excellent at maintaining their as well as other’s time appropriately.
- Should have better adaptability regarding work culture.
- Must be quick in their work.
- Should be able to write and speak that is easy for others to understand and comprehend.
- Should understand the information that is unspoken and should be able to maintain the decorum of the place intact.
- Should be perceptive and quickly understands what needs to be done.
- Typists must follow all the rules and guidelines of the workplace and should ensure that everything is as the policy dictates it to be.
- Typists should also be able to handle personnel-related issues.
Why pursue a career as a Typist?
Typists’ job is not as straightforward as it seems; it has a whole other dimension attached to it. If you wish to work the whole day sitting in front of the computer, it is the best job for you. You can even choose to be a freelance typist if you want to work from home.
In the typist role, you are expected to work efficiently and accurately to convert the information provided into legible documents. A key element of this role is maintaining the confidentiality of sensitive information in order to protect the company from information leaks. Accurately code data and generate reports and other documentation on the fly.
How to become a Typist?
Apart from having an academic degree, typists must also be in possession of the typing certificate, data entry diploma, and must have certification or work experience in managing people. Every office requires a typist who also has better conversational skills. Typist is a first entry job. However, you might need experience in the field apart from your experience. Typist job is not just about typing the documents, you need to be better at administrative and clerical work. After gaining experience as a typist you can also work in the direction of the secretary or can look for a better administrative role.