A front desk representative is a person who plays an iconic role in a hotel. The front desk representative job is important for any hotel establishment as it is the first step the customer comes across when they enter the hotel. The main job of the front desk executive is to help in checking the customers in and out of the hotel and make sure the customers have had a pleasurable stay in there. The front desk representative job is iconic because they need to keep patience and a calm demeanor all the time. This is important as the main job of the front desk is to handle the customers in the hotel in general.
What is a front desk representative?
The front desk representative has an important role to play in the whole venture of the front desk executive in the hotel. The front desk representative focuses on providing support and delivering services while the customers are in the purchasing process. The front desk representative job requires the person to take on the clerical tasks as well as handling queries, complaints, etc. The front desk representative is the “first face” the customer sees while entering the hotel. So the front desk executive is responsible to make a good impression on the customers.
What does a front desk representative do?
The front desk representative’s job is to take on the receptionist position and take on the clerical tasks. As the front desk representative is the first person the customers will come across, the front desk representative must make a good impression. The job of the front office executive is to help in checking the customers in and out of the hotel. They are also responsible for making sure that the customers have a pleasurable stay in the hotel. For this reason, the front office executive always needs to keep a calm demeanor during the job. Being the face of the establishment, the front desk representative should support the other staff i.e., the front office, the cleaning crew, organizing staff. They must record the events, check-in and out of the customers, calls, and messages.
What are the duties of the front desk representative job?
The duties of the front desk representative include-
- Monitoring the front office supplies and if necessary place orders and restocking them in the office.
- Helping the guests in checking in and out of the hotel.
- Greeting and welcoming the guests or customers in the hotel.
- Answering the calls and messages, even redirecting the calls if needed.
- Answering the queries of the customers or guests and addressing the complaints from the guests.
Job brief of the front desk representative-
The front desk is the first thing that the customers will come across in the hotel. For this reason, the front desk representative must make a good “first impression” in front of the customers. The front desk executive has to assign the receptionist duties and the clerical duties. The front desk representative will have to keep an easy-going personality and a friendly attitude. They should maintain patience at all times while engaging with the guests. The front desk representative should be perfectly able to handle the complaints and give accurate information to the guests. The front desk representative also makes sure the guests have a pleasurable stay in the hotel.
What are the responsibilities of the front desk representative?
The responsibilities of the front desk representative include the following points below-
- Maintaining professional composure while engaging with the guests.
- Store and take care of the luggage that the guests have brought.
- To make reservations in the hotel for the customers over the phone call.
- Maintain a continuous record of check-ins and outs of the customers.
- Maintain a filing system of all the required and important documents.
- Regularly check, sort, and answer the emails that are sent to the hotel.
- Schedule various interviews, meetings, and appointments.
- To be able to handle various complaints and queries from the guests and customers.
- Receive various packages and deliveries sent to the hotel.
- Take messages and information and pass them to the receiver.
Requirements of the Front Desk representative job-
The requirements of the front desk operator are-
- Should be a proficient speaker and writer in the English language.
- Have excellent knowledge in the MS Office both in excel and word.
- Should be familiar with the machines in the office.
- Having been worked as the front desk representative or in the front office before. It should have been proven to the front desk executive.
- Any secondary high school certificate and bachelor’s degree.
What is the average salary of a front desk representative?
The average salary of the front desk representative is given as follows-
|Different cities of India||Monthly average salary of a front desk representative|
|New Delhi||Rs. 20,000|
What are the key skills required for the front desk representative job?
There are a few skills that a front desk operator has to be equipped with. They are discussed below-
- Should be a proficient speaker and writer in the English language.
- Should have proper knowledge about office management.
- Should know about bookkeeping.
- Should have problem-solving skills to handle the quests’ queries and complaints.
- Should have improvisation skills.
- Should have good communication skills and an easy-going personality.
- Should have multitasking abilities and organizing skills.
Why should one pursue a career as a front desk representative?
The front desk representative is considered to be the “face” of the hotel or any establishment. Pursuing a front desk representative job can be a fulfilling career path as it offers great earning potential. Being the face of the establishment, you can dictate how a customer will feel about the establishment. For this reason, the front desk representative job should not be undermined. Having a career as a front desk representative, one can have the chance to sharpen their people’s skills, organizing skills, and computer skills. The front desk representative pay has an ample chance of growing over time as one will have several chances to enhance their skills. The important thing is that by having a career in the front desk permanently, one can move into working in law, medicine, legal secretary, etc. After acquiring appropriate skills and experience, one can become an office manager or customer service in its career path ahead.
How to become a front desk representative?
To become a front desk operator one should have the following qualifications that are discussed below-
- Must have a higher secondary school certificate.
- Must have a bachelor’s degree.
- Must have proficiency in the English language both in speaking and writing skills.
- Must have excellent computer and MS Office skills such as excel and word.
The front desk representative job is considered to be the face of the hotel or any establishment. As mentioned above, it is up to the front desk representative, how the guests or customers will feel about the establishment. For this reason, the front desk representative is one of the important jobs in the establishment. The front desk representative job provides immense opportunities to learn and experience as the job gets involved in many tasks in the establishment. This also gives space to the person to grow and train themselves in people’s skills and can become much more in their career path.